Re: cortex / arm-hardfloat-linux-gnueabi (was Re: armelfp: new architecture name for an armel variant)

Hello Loïc,

2010/7/15, Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org>:
>  Concerning the triplet choice, I'd highly recommend reading this
>  upstream thread:
>     http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2010-07/threads.html#00179

Thanks for sharing it. Quite interesting.

For my point of view, ABI should not be encoded in the upstream
triplet names, as Paul comments, but, indeed when transition from OABI
to EABI, they did create another triplet (indeed, another
architecture: arm-none-linux-gnueabi). In that case, Debian was clear
to take it as another architecture, but, nowadays,
arm-none-linux-gnueabi supports hard, soft and softfp. Bringing old
discussions up to front, would not make sense to have ABI support in
the distribution itself (which really is  an overhead) and not in the
upstream code?

Best regards,
--
 Héctor Orón