Re: Debian Installer use GPT partition but Uboot does not recognize it ?

Hello Martin,

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 10:21 PM, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@cyrius.com> wrote:
> * Francois Lorrain <francois.lorrain@gmail.com> [2010-01-11 22:28]:
>> I tried to re-install debian on an internal 2.5" drive but it seems
>> the installer partition the drive using a GPT partition with type "ee"
>
> I don't think the installer will use GPT on this platform but maybe
> I'm wrong.  Can you make the logs from /var/log/installer/ available
> somewhere?  Also, how big is the disk?
>
>> I think I partitionned the external SATA drive on a PC before I
>> innstalled debian on it.
>
> So did you install to the internal or external disk?
>
> --
> Martin Michlmayr
> http://www.cyrius.com/

I did a first install on an external SATA connected drive and this one
went fine.

I then installed an internal 2.5" hard drive inside the enclosure of
the Open-Rd and tried to install debian on it using the same
procedure.
I think the 2.5" HDD had an EFI partition to start with. Then the
install goes fine but at the end the U-Boot only sees the GPT with
partition type EE.
When I boot on the external hard drive into Debian, I can see the
partitions on the 2.5" drive inside but Uboot cannot boot from them.

When doing fdisk/cfdisk from the other debian install, I get a warning
about GUID partitions and that I should use parted - but that is not
my problem :-)

I also connected the 2.5" drive to a regular PC and did a gptsync.
Then Uboot can see the partitions but the boot parition was empty, so
I am not sure if this is an installer problem.

Anyway, at the end, I erased the GPT partition with dd if=/dev/zero
of=/dev/sda bs=1M count=50 - I know this is an overkill and
repartitonned using fdisk.
It was late yesterday so I didn't finish the whole thing but I am
expecting that should work - there is no more EFI stuff on the disk.

I think the existing EFI partition did confuse the installer but I did
not keep the installation logs.

Regards

Francois