Re: [Fwd: Howto (active-backup) bonding eth0 and wlan0 (was Re: nslu2: two ethernets: one by default)]

En/na Lennart Sorensen ha escrit:
On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 01:00:10PM +0100, Xan wrote:
My access point? Why the active-backup bonding depends on AP and not only on my box (nslu2)? Can you explain me technical details?

My understanding of bonding means both ends have to support it for a
link since you are sending traffic over both links.  Well it appears that
in mode=1 operation bonding picks one link or the other (in which case
the other end isn't involved) although I have no idea if this works
with wireless.  It does not switch back to the first link until the
second link goes down apparently.  I haven't used it, but that's what
a quick google search seemed to indicate.

I just could try for knowing so .... ;-)
My router is "Belkin ADSL modem with wireless G-router" model # F5D7632-4.
It's a similar router like http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=278082
but I don't know if it supports bonding.

I highly doubt it.  Bonding (or trunking) is generally something higher
end switches and routers support.  And linux boxes.

I am really wondering if network-manager couldn't do all this stuff for
you much simpler.  I know it can detect when cables are plugged in and
manager wireless and such.  If it could do that and assign the IP and
only keep one interface up at a time, with priority given to the best
one available, that would seem like it should do what you want.

I have nslu2 with as far as I know it does not have network-manager avaliable (it has no screen). Really, I have to write a "server" detecting the kernel event of unplugged ethernet and only put wifi so. But it's too difficult for me. For this reason, I wrote the script I mentioned above. But bonding could be a better solution (kernel solution--> more performance).

Thanks,
Xan.