[Fwd: Howto (active-backup) bonding eth0 and wlan0 (was Re: nslu2: two ethernets: one by default)]

--- Begin Message ---
Hi,

I like very much the Oliver private post but this procedure is _too_ big for me ,-). I just want to know:
1)  what to do the bonding transition
2) how to revert bonding If I want.

Now I have two network interfaces wlan0 (wifi) and eth0 (ethernet). Both have private ip and wlan0 is encrypted-device-communication:

My /etc/network/interfaces is.

   xan@caixa:~$ cat /etc/network/interfaces

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet static
   address 172.26.0.2
   netmask 255.255.0.0
   network 172.26.0.0
   broadcast 172.26.255.255
   gateway 172.26.0.1
   # dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed
   dns-nameservers 80.58.61.250 80.58.61.254
   dns-search example.org

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet static
   address 172.26.0.3
   netmask 255.255.0.0
   network 172.26.0.0
   broadcast 172.26.255.255
   gateway 172.26.0.1
   # dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed
   dns-nameservers 80.58.61.250 80.58.61.254
   dns-search example.org
   wpa-ssid 314159
   wpa-driver wext
   wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

Following [http://wiki.debian.org/Bonding], [http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1299073] for installing active-backp bonding I have to edit /etc/network/interfaces to

auto bond0

iface bond0 inet static
   address 10.31.1.5
   netmask 255.255.255.0
   network 10.31.1.0
   gateway 10.31.1.254
   slaves eth0 eth1
   bond_mode active-backup
   bond_miimon 100
   bond_downdelay 200
   bond_updelay 200

iface wlan0 inet manual
       bond-master bond0
       bond-give-a-chance 10
       wpa-bridge bond0

But where to specify wpa-conf? Can any put all bonding configuration equivalence of what I have?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Xan.

En/na Oliver Kiddle ha escrit:
On 30 Oct, Xan wrote:
Perhaps it's a too much simple question, but I don't know what achieve that: In nslu2 I have two network devices: eth0 and wlan0 (wifi). I just want that:

- nslu2 tries if eth0 is plugged. If it's, then all network connection were established via eth0 - if eth0 is unplugged, then all network connection were established via wlan0.

Sorry for the late reply: I'm clearing through the old mail.

The way I would attempt to do this is to use the Linux bonding driver.

Details are in
/usr/share/doc/linux-doc-2.6.26/Documentation/networking/bonding.txt on
a Debian system with the Linux documentation installed. This is also in
a tarball.

You also need to install ifenslave.

The bonding driver creates a bond0 interface that eth0 and wlan0 would
be slaves to. You can then select different modes such as using eth0 by
default with wlan0 as a backup. I've only used this with dual 100MBit
connections as a way of improving network performance.

Oliver

--- End Message ---