Re: ARMv4-support in armel/squeeze?

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 6:48 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
<lkcl@lkcl.net> wrote:
>> "Neil"? I spent 2006 working to bootstrap the armel port, of which the
>> first 6 months were getting a working EABI cross-compiler (partly
>> because the emdebian crowd, who seemed to know more about it, urged me
>> to; in reality you have to build Debian packages natively) and the
>> last 6 months were spent doing exactly the circular dependency
>> workarounding that has been described here.
>
>  jeezus.  what a total waste.  sorry, not of your work, but a total
> waste that this wasn't automated back then, so that konstantinous
> didn't have to completely re-duplicate it, from scratch.

Well, I documented my procedure as a sort of shell script. I doubt you
could just run it as such, but all the steps, scripts and notes on
individual packages etc are somewhere under
http://martinwguy.co.uk/martin/arm
There are also some archive integrity checking scripts I ran in 2008,
e.g. the src-bin-arch script which runs some checks for arch inclusion
in the debian/control file that can only be performed by downloading
and scanning the entire source repository: specifically, whether some
of the binary packages are only generated for some architectures which
may need the port name included.

>  but with the massive explosion in compiler options for ARM processors
> alone, the process of "porting" now becomes a massive headache.

Not really, you can recompile your own repository for a specific CPU
that is compatible with an existing ABI
The fake gcc trick seems to fool almost all packages (from
http://martinwguy.co.uk/martin/crunch/#UsingIt):

mkdir ~/crunch
cat > ~/crunch/gcc << EOF
#! /bin/sh

exec gcc-4.3-crunch -march=armv101thx "$@"
EOF
chmod 755 ~/crunch/gcc
ln -s gcc ~/crunch/cc
ln -s gcc ~/crunch/gcc-4.3
ln -s gcc ~/crunch/arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc

then arrange to run all the build tools with PATH=~/crunch:$PATH