Re: Installing debian on exotic HW

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 03:46:13PM +0100, Marek Šimon wrote:
> I have got a specific box - vendor is LXE, box model is MX3, procesor
> should be a XSCALE PXA255 400 MHz. Vendor's system is Windows CE. I want
> to install some linux to this machine. There is no CDROM, no network
> booting, no floppy, only removable CF memory. So I think I must remove
> it, attach to a PC, prepare the system including the bootmanager to the
> CF, return the CF to the box and try to boot. I am experienced linux
> user, but I never work with non PC architecture and never install linux
> some other way than install CDs or debootstrap to a virtual machine.
> Google leads me to many information, but there is a jungle of them -
> toolchains, installation manuals for similar architectures, many ARM
> subclasses, firmware updates (do I need or not?), openembeded (which
> seems to be just a framework and debian maybe have some things ready),
> emdebian (which seems a bit dead) and finaly, it seems nobody tried to
> do it before me on this exact HW. I don't know, where to start. Could
> somebody point at some good howto for cross installation to a CF?

Most likely there is a bootloader in rom or flash on the board and not
on the CF card.  So it could be VERY tricky to get it to boot something
else unless you have a serial console to the boot loader and can fiddle
with it.  Then you need a kernel for that specific board you can boot.
After that a standard debian arm system should probabyl work well.

--
Len Sorensen