Re: Toshiba AC100

On 8 October 2010 22:21, Wookey <wookey@wookware.org> wrote:
> +++ Phil Endecott [2010-10-08 21:24 +0100]:
>> As many of you will know the Toshiba AC100 is a netbook based on an
>> Nvidia Tegra ARM processor that ships with Android.  I've been waiting a
>> long time for hardware like this to become available; I've just bought
>> one, and it is excellent.

> I saw one today too, as Peter Maydell's has just arrived. He's got
> ubuntu Maverick going on it, booting from SD, and apparently running
> the Adnroid kernel. Seems to work fine in general, but no wifi yet so
> limited experimentation.

Yep (not that I did any of the hard work, I just installed according to
the information on http://tosh-ac100.wetpaint.com/page/Ubuntu).
Wifi does work, and the machine is basically fine now for the sort
of random spodding (irc, usenet, web browsing) I wanted it for :-)

There's a TODO list on that wiki, of which I think the most important
missing bits are sound and all the power management related stuff.
(At the moment on ubuntu I get about 3 1/2 hours out of the battery
because it never turns anything off. Also lack of 'suspend' is a bit
awkward.) And at some point the boot sequence ought to be smoothed
out a bit so you don't have to use the magic 'recovery mode' nerve
pinch to get it to boot the other OS rather than Android.

-- PMM