Re: Debian installer for GuruPlug

Thanks for your work on this, Martin.  I was able to install Debian to a
sandisc 8gb USB flash drive.  I am using the uboot ext2load command at
startup.

Here is what I did:

1) Boot loader

>You will need a boot loader that actually works. :)

I flashed flipflip's custom uboot image over tftp (though fatload would also
work to get the custom uboot to nand).  The file to flash is 'u-boot.kwb' in
the tarball at: http://oinkzwurgl.org/guruplug_uboot

This uboot version has functioning ext2ls and ext2load.

Here are the arguments I used to flash the nand with flipflip's custom
uboot.

tftp 0x6400000 u-boot.kwb
nand erase 0x0 0x100000
nand write.e 0x6400000 0x0 0x100000
reset

Then I interrupted the boot process again.

Here's the signature:
U-Boot 2010.03-01266-g42f7128-dirty (Mai 12 2010 - 13:28:48)

Marvell-GuruPlug (-: flipflip's version 20100512 :-)

You know you've got the right uboot when you see 'Guruplug>>' instead of
'Marvell>>' for the uboot command line.

2) Configure your machine

>You have to set the right machine ID so the kernel will know that you
>have a GuruPlug:
>
> setenv mainlineLinux yes
> setenv arcNumber 2659
> saveenv
> reset

These arguments are right.

3) Load the installer

http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/install.html
>on how to load the installer.  But instead of the images linked on that
>site, you have to use those from
>http://people.debian.org/~joeyh/d-i/armel/images/daily/kirkwood/netboot/marvell/guruplug/

The new images linked here work.  Following the hints in the discussions
above I used the following arguments (revised from your www.cyrius.com....
site) to load the installer:

usb start
ext2load usb 1:1 0x01100000 /uInitrd
ext2load usb 1:1 0x00800000 /uImage

4) Install

The installation proceeded with no problems using these lines (again from
your www.cyrius.com... instructions):

setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200n8
base-installer/initramfs-tools/driver-policy=most
bootm 0x00800000 0x01100000

Since the Guruplug has two ethernet ports, if you're plugged into the wrong
one during the installation then the installer will fail to configure dhcp.
Simply switch the cable to the other port, hit continue, and it will
reconfigure successfully.

5) Make the machine bootable

This required only a slight revision of the 'bootcmd' argument on your
earlier 'how to.'  I replaced 'usb 0:1' with 'usb 1:1' in each instance.

Here is the full syntax I used:

setenv bootargs_console console=ttyS0,115200
setenv bootcmd_usb 'usb start; ext2load usb 1:1 0x01100000 /uInitrd;
ext2load usb 1:1 0x00800000 /uImage'
setenv bootcmd 'setenv bootargs $(bootargs_console); run bootcmd_usb; bootm
0x00800000 0x01100000'
saveenv

reset

Then the system boots.  It takes a couple of minutes before you see the
"decompressing linux kernel . . .," but then it loads up quickly from there
into the new installation on the usb drive.  I have been running it for two
days now with debian on the usb stick.  After numerous restarts I have not
yet had uboot fail to see the usb during its 'usb start' process.  The
ext2load bootarg works every time, too.  One thing to note is that this
method of loading Debian on the Guruplug will show the partitions of the USB
flash drive as the various mounted USB devices (usb0, usb1, usb2, usb3).
Plugging in an additional usb hard drive (I'm using a Western Digital
passport) requires manual mounting of /dev/sdd1 to a directory.  I tried to
install debian to the WD HDD without success.  I believe this is because
uboot does not find the device before it times out its 'usb start' process,
though any hints on this would be appreciated.  My ideal setup would be to
have kernel and root file system on the WD HDD.