Re: cortex / arm-hardfloat-linux-gnueabi (was Re: armelfp: new architecture name for an armel variant)

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 5:33 PM, Paul Brook <paul@codesourcery.com> wrote:
>> Genesi have recommended 'cortex' as Debian architecture name and
>> 'arm-hardfloat-linux-gnueabi' as triplet. This has been in fact
>> approved and endorsed -and actually encouraged- by ARM itself, they
>> really liked the idea of having a debian-cortex port.
>
> I suspect the other architecture licensees (Marvell, Qualcomm) might not be so
> enthusiastic about this naming...

Seconded. Since this port will work on all ARM SoCs that meet the
minimal hardware requirements, it should not be named around a
specific vendor. Something vendor neutral like "armfp",
"armel_hardfloat", etc. is much more appropriate (although we should
probably try to make it clear in the vendor name that you need
specific CPU features to fully support it).