Re: d-i slowness on QNAP TS-209

On 06/20/2010 03:40 PM, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Marcus Better <marcus@better.se> [2010-06-20 22:24]:
>> I'm currently installing squeeze on a QNAP TS-209 with two 2 TB disk
>> drives.  The only really major pain is the speed, especially the
>> delays between various d-i screens. It can take a few minutes for
>> some steps, like entering the RAID manager, or after configuring a
>> partition. Is there room for improvement here, or is the machine
>> just that slow?
>
> Shouldn't be that slow.  Is it literally _minutes_ for each step?
> Does this happen with all screens or only with the partitioner/RAID
> config?

In 2006 it was literally minutes on an NSLU2 ["low-memory mode."]
Some shell strings were manipulated with code that used fork+exec
numerous times instead of standard tricks of no-fork processing
with strings in an interpreter.  The supposed shell builtin "["
actually was *not* builtin.  [Track PID with "ps" in another window.]
Some sets of packages were tracked using a string of concatenated names
instead of with zero-length files in a temporary directory.  One step
was at least O(n**2) in the number of packages.  I complained;
the response seemed to me, "Be glad it works at all."