Re: 2nd try: Thermaltake Muse NAS-RAID (N0001LN) - IOP architecture - HELP requested

Mello <mellowiz@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
Hi,

> I've searched through the archives but I've found nothing about my
> LAN-based NAS (in the subject) hence I'm asking the alias...
>
> Anybody has any ideas on how to hack it to carry out a fresh install
> of Debian+Samba on Thermaltake Muse NAS-RAID (N0001LN)?
> Very simply put, it is a 4-bay box, built around the Intel IOP 80219
> (@400MHz) architecture.
> It also features an externally accessible serial interface, one 1G
> Ethernet interface and 256MB RAM (+8MB flash). Additionally, although
> I'm unaware of the nitty-gritty stuff, it has a Redboot firmware (seen
> via the serial cable).

great. Having a serial cable is a good start.

> The system is based on Linux (uname -m => armv5tel;  uname -r =>
> 2.6.10-iop1) and it runs software made by FalconStor (ipstord,
> ipstorcomm...). I'm not sure whether RAID is done in software or
> hardware.

IOP80219 is only telling us it's an arm box. As there are already a
bunch of other NAS based on this SoC, more informations are needed.
Can you provide somewhere informations like :

- boot log (with redboot logs)
- content of /proc/interrupts
- lspci output

More informations may be needed later but the one I listed previously
should help us knowing what's exactly is in your device. Also, if you're
not afraid of opening your NAS, look for informations on the PCB. This
may help us to find if the NAS is already supported by the kernel with a
different name/vendor.

> What I'd like to achieve is to have a Debian server, running SSH
> instead of Telnet (!), that I can configure to share data via SMB.
> Disks should be configured as RAID 1 at least.

imho, it should not be hard as long as one manage to boot a custom kernel
on it.

Arnaud