Re: Sheevaplug running Debian won't boot after initial "apt-get dist-upgrade"

* John Winters <john@sinodun.org.uk> [2009-09-12 15:33]:
> I've successfully installed Debian Lenny onto an SD card in my new
> SheevaPlug and it booted fine.  I then followed Martin's instructions
> for fine detail adjustments (renaming the host, adding ntp, "apt-get
> dist-upgrade" etc.) before attempting to re-boot.  I did one extra
> thing, which was to edit /etc/fstab to reflect where my / partition
> was - on the MMC card.  Without that the "apt-get dist-upgrade"
> failed.  I then finished off the upgrade and re-booted.

Yep, but this is actually documented:

 | If you're using an SD card, you have to edit /mnt/etc/fstab and
 | replace /dev/sda1 with /dev/mmcblk0p1 and /dev/sda2 with
 | /dev/mmcblk0p2. If you're using a USB stick, you don't have to edit
 | this file.

> It now gets as far trying to boot and says:
>
> ## Booting image at 00400000 ...
> Bad Magic Number

I just did a dist-upgrade on my SheevaPlug and it worked fine.  I'll
take a look at your boot files to see if I can see something obviously
wrong.

> As part of the apt-get dist-upgrade I noticed that the kernel went
> from 2.6.29 to 2.6.30.  Is there an extra step needed to get the new
> kernel properly installed?

You shouldn't have to.
--
Martin Michlmayr