Re: Debian 5.0 (lenny) tar ball for the SheevaPlug - USB install

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009, David Given wrote:
Last I looked the OpenRD wasn't out yet.

DENIED!!!!! Arrrggghhh!!! lol

I know what you mean; my home server is now running off a SheevaPlug, and it is definitely a bit stressed. It's got five USB hard drives hanging off the single USB channel, and it doesn't like it. You can't, e.g., do RAID5 on USB as the bandwidth falls through the floor after you add the fourth disk. It would be very nice to have a device with more USB channels, and preferably SATA.

I see a really big market developing for intelligent, remotely controllable home/office gateways, custom built to the user's specs.

"Ok, you want a media server, web site, private chat server, email server and remote control of all of your IP intelligent appliances... No problem. I start customising the configuration tomorrow, and bring it by to train you on in about 3 days..."

"oh yeah, this device can also be equipped with power company ssl keys so that they can perform certified queries of your usage this month. You also qualify for remote meter control discounts"

Smart grid and economic stimulus all in one little boxen...
--
steve