USB PORT assignment

I know I don't know enough about this so maybe someone can enlighten me.

When I connect a USB to serial adapter on my NSLU2 Debian system all is well... it assigns ttyUSB0.  But if I disconnect the cable and then reconnect it assigns the next port - ttyUSB1 and so on going up.

Is this normal? I tried deleting the /dev/ttyUSBx  files but it still assigns the next port. Is there a way to delete a port so it can be reassigned? I know rebooting would solve the problem but I do not want to do that every time.

Doug