Re: Newbie problem.

On 6/5/09, Magicloud Magiclouds <magicloud.magiclouds@gmail.com> wrote:
>   There is friendlyarm selling, using Samsung S3C2440AL-40 chip. I
> wonder if debian-arm supports that.

Hi
   There are two versions of Debian for ARM processors.
   The old "arm" version of Debian runs on CPUs that support the armv4
instruction set (StrongARM devices or later). The new "armel" version
needs armv4t instruction set (ARM7TDMI CPUs and later). In the current
stable release of Debian ("lenny") both are supported as we change
over - the old "arm" arch will be not be supported in the next release
of Debian, which will happen in a year or two.
   The S3C2440 runs the armv4t instruction set, so you >can< use
either of the versions, but you should use the new armel version as it
is much faster for some operations and will continue to be updated in
the future.
   See wiki.debian.org/ArmEabiPort for details on the differences
between Debian arm and armel

   Whether there is an automatic installer for your device depends on
the board or device it is part of. If not, you will need to compile a
kernel for your device and make (or find) a Debian root filesystem for
it.
   See www.debian.org -> Installation instructions -> ARM and you will
find many tutorials on the web explaining how to install Debian
systems on different devices

Good luck!