Re: Odd ownership of files in tarball [Re: Debian 5.0 (lenny) tar ball for the SheevaPlug - USB install]

On May 19, 2009, at 4:49 AM, Martin Michlmayr wrote:

* Gaudenz Steinlin <gaudenz@debian.org> [2009-05-19 09:17]:
How exactly did you produce this diff? If you extract the tarball on
another system and then produced the diff on this system, then this is just expected. The tarball only stores numerical ids and the displayed
names correspond to the names for these ids on the running system.
Numerical ids are not garantueed to be the same accross different Debian
installations.

Yep, that's it.  I just checked the files on the running system and
they all look okay.

Hmmm...

The diff was produced as Gaudenz says. So that explains the differences in my email. Sorry for speaking before I thought!

However... I'm not quite ready to crawl back under my rock yet. Because...

What prompted me to do the diff in the first place was some group/ ownership discrepancies I noticed on the running sheevaplug system. I had trouble getting "at" to work and it turned out to be ownership problems. I fixed them, and "at" runs fine now.

I think I'll reinstall on a brand-new USB Flash drive and see if they are still there after a fresh installation.

All, Please check the ownership and group of "/usr/bin/at*" on your own plugs...

Enjoy!

Rick