Re: Odd ownership of files in tarball [Re: Debian 5.0 (lenny) tar ball for the SheevaPlug - USB install]

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 08:28:03PM -0400, Rick Thomas wrote:

> On May 8, 2009, at 11:09 AM, Rick Thomas wrote:
>
>> Cool!
>>
>> My first shivaplug arrived this morning.
>
> It's now installed and doing useful work.  A fairly painless process --
> thanks very much for the step-by-step instructions, Martin!  I doubt if I
> could have done it myself with just the instructions from Marvell.
>
> I've stumbled across an anomaly in the tarball that I thought I should
> report.
>
> The groups for some of the files in the tarball don't correspond to
> those in a working system.  Enclosed is a diff of everything  that I've
> noticed...

How exactly did you produce this diff? If you extract the tarball on
another system and then produced the diff on this system, then this is
just expected. The tarball only stores numerical ids and the displayed
names correspond to the names for these ids on the running system.
Numerical ids are not garantueed to be the same accross different Debian
installations.

Check if the the permissons are also wrong if you actually boot the system
on your plug or if you chroot into the directory of the unpacked
tarball.

Gaudenz

--
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.