Re: Test images for Debian lenny rc2 available

On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 06:12:52PM +0100, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Marc Singer <elf@buici.com> [2009-03-02 20:21]:
> > An older firmware image failed as well, but in that case the red LED
> > is on as is the network LINK LED.  I don't have a console cable here,
> > so I cannot tell what is failing.  I'll take it to work tomorrow and
> > do more diagnosis.
>
> That'd be great!

I'm not sure why I expected the installer to configure the network
interface and setup SSH without intervention.  Neither of the two
installer images I tried would.  It sure would be nice though.  In
both cases, I had to press enter at the Low Memory prompt.  If this
were the only barrier to installing without a serial console, I think
we'd agree that the prompt was kinda silly.

What I've been doing is initiating the installer via the console and
then switching to an SSH session for the bulk of the work.

The installation made it to the point where it was asking me to

tasksel.  Then, I fell asleep.  In the morning, I wanted to resume,
but I knew that my 24 hour DHCP lease had expired, so I renwed by hand
on the serial console.  But, the DHCP server gave me a new IP address,
one diferent from the one I'd been using.  I'm pretty sure that this
has to do with the fact that the first lease expired.  Punishment,
perhaps.

No problem, I reconnect to the installer at the new address and resume
the installation.  I'm asked to configure the Debian archive, Download
installer components, and then Configure apt.  But the Configure apt
task won't execute.  I select it from the menu and the installer
returns immediately to the menu with the same item selected.

I've saved the logs and reviewd them.  *I* dont' see anything in them
to indicate the reason why the installer won't resume.

There are two possible problems:

  1) dhclient won't automatically renew the target system lease
  2) installer won't always resume when interrupted

Cheers.