Re: Debian 5.0 armel installation question

Wouter Verhelst wrote:
On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 05:05:32PM +0100, Yegor Yefremov wrote:
First trap versatile image is initramfs and not initrd. So I integrated the cpio archive into my kernel and booted the Debian installer. But it is really netboot.

This is correct; the 'netboot' installer image does not contain the
necessary kernel modules and d-i components to retrieve software from
CD-ROM.

The first thing it makes is to detect network hardware. Then networking will be configured so first packages are downloaded from one of the mirrors. I don't find any option to make installation from the CD/DVD. What is the main difference between "cdrom" and "netboot" versions? Can it be configured within cpio via changing some scripts or so?

If you boot the installer in expert mode, you should be able to select
additional udebs at some point. If I'm not mistaken, that list should
contain an entry 'cdrom-retriever'. If you enable that, you should be
able to install from CD-ROM.

Haven't tested that, however.

Martin Michlmayr compiled cdrom installer for me ( http://merkel.debian.org/~tbm/tmp/versatile/cdrom/ ). I gave it a try. There seem to be some problems with my kernel, but apart from that I could install the base system from armel DVD.

Thanks to Martin once more at this place.