Re: Trying to migrate slug from memory stick to external HDD

Michael Glockenstein wrote:
[snip]

> What is in your fstab? If the second way works it sounds like
> adressing the root via uuid and when you create a new
> filesystem the uuid differs, while after the dd it is the same.

slug:~# cat /etc/fstab
#
proc            /proc         proc    defaults        0       0
/dev/sda2       /             ext2    errors=remount-ro,noatime 0  1
/dev/sda1       none          swap    sw              0       0
slug:~#

I don't think the system gets even that far though.  It's as if the
kernel can't find the root partition at all, never mind read /etc/fstab
from it.

Is it possible that the Debian installer sets up the initial boot
parameters to reference the root device by uuid?  AIUI, that information
is stored as part of the kernel boot command line.  How can I get that
back out of the flash memory to examine it?

TIA,
John