Re: Trying to migrate slug from memory stick to external HDD

John Winters wrote:
[snip]
> I know I'm going to kick myself when someone points out what I've
> forgotten to do, but...

I still don't know what I hadn't done, but I found a (sort of) way
around it.

Instead of partitioning the new disc and then copying files I simply did:

dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=1024k

and then:

e2fsck /dev/sdb2

and now the slug will boot from the HDD instead of the memory stick.

I'd still like to know what was going wrong in the first place though.
I've studied various web pages describing the boot sequence and it seems
from the lights that the kernel loaded from flash simply couldn't find
the root partition.  Any suggestions as to why would be gratefully
appreciated.

Cheers,
John