Re: How to find package name of a *.deb file?

[DO NOT Cc me on list replies, and knock off the top-posting]

On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 10:55:36AM -0800, Weidong Li wrote:
> sudo apt-get -d install iceweasel=3.0.5-1
>
> It downloads files and gives me dependency package lists.  However, it
> does not download the correct versions of dependency packages - it
> downloads versions for x386 architecture, not for armel.
>
> What should I do to let apt-get know that all my packages should be for
> armel, not for x386?  Or should I use a different tool to get the
> packages?

apt-get is designed to manage packages on your running system only.  You
need to download the package and it's dependencies by hand, and unpack them
by hand.

"By hand" could be scripted, of course, but you won't be able to use
apt-get/dpkg.  If you used debootstrap to build a complete chroot you could
add iceweasel to the list of initial packages and it'd be mostly automatic,
though.

- Matt