NSLU hangs when inserting USB stick in installation process

Trying to install Debian Lenny on my second Linksys NSLU2. First one is up and running. Second one flashed the installer, logged in as "installer" through SSH. As soon as I plug in an USB stick (I tried several, formatted NTFS and EXT3) in port 1 or port 2, the NSLU stops reacting to keypresses, and eventually times out on the network connection.

Strange thing is, I did one succesfull install on this Slug, had DHCP problems, went back to Unslung firmware in order to set up IP through web interface. That went okay, flashed Debian installer again. When I try to reboot with the USB stick attached, no go. When I boot without, no probs, start the installer but it stops at the point where it needs a root file system (naturally). Even Expert install mode (detect file system) doesnt work. It hangs as soon as I attach an usb stick.

Anyone got good ideas where to start looking?

Johan