Re: second-stage bootloader for Thecus N2100?

hi,
Am Samstag, den 31.01.2009, 16:12 +0000 schrieb Paul Jakma:
> > though the problem might be size here, you would probably need to
> > strip the defaults a bit to get an initramfs that matches the usual
> > size constraints you have on MTD devices ... (an initramfs of the
> > current ubuntu versatile flavour is actually 2.7M big, i dont know
> > the numbers for debian here but assume they are not massively
> > different)
>
> It's 3.4M on my N2100. Size isn't a tight constraint as it was
> originally designed to have userspace hosted on flash - so there's
> nearly 10MB more to spare.
well, if we would build such a solution that should be indeed something
thats genrally usable on all arm systems in a way that you need to
configure your bootloader only once in the lifetime of the board and
then subsequent changes can be done in a textfile in /boot from the OS
side. our approcach isnt limited to a single piece of HW so the size
should be usable on the broadest range we can match. 10M are surely
plenty but i imagine that you might find arm devices with only 4M in the
wild so it gets tight if you want to fit in a kernel, bootloader and
initramfs (though i think 4M should be the minimal limit here).

ciao
	oli