Re: second-stage bootloader for Thecus N2100?

hi,
Am Samstag, den 31.01.2009, 13:25 +0000 schrieb Paul Jakma:
> > https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2009-January/027229.html
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Specs/ARMSoftbootLoader
>
> Why build a new environment? Why not use the standard Debian initram?
> What modifications are needed other than to go down a 'read and offer
> boot menu and kexec' path instead of flipping to the root dev?
>
> Least, that's what I was thinking of using as a starting point. Just
> curious what reasons there are for going another way.
i think michaels inital drive was bling with a cool gui :)

my script is actually the result of a deeper discussion of the issue we
had on IRC where we then agreed that using the standard initramfs with
just a different /sbin/init similar the demo script i wrote would likely
be a better way ... the additional info was just not added to the spec
yet.

though the problem might be size here, you would probably need to strip
the defaults a bit to get an initramfs that matches the usual size
constraints you have on MTD devices ... (an initramfs of the current
ubuntu versatile flavour is actually 2.7M big, i dont know the numbers
for debian here but assume they are not massively different)

ciao
	oli