Re: UNS: Re: Update APEX for fatted nslu2 (FatSlug)

El Martes 20 Enero 2009, Rod Whitby escribió:

> > Why I can't recreate the firmware file?
>
> Very good question.  slugimage unpack and pack should always work.  It's
> one of the tests in the slugimage regression test suite
> (http://svn.nslu2-linux.org/svnroot/slugimage/trunk/tests/debian/standard.t
>est) so it should work and explicitly be tested for all versions of
> slugimage.

I think there must be a problem with endianess or... I don't know.

After writing /dev/mtdblock2 with the APEX Marc pointed, I did a backup of all
the flash with cat /dev/mtdblock* >backup.bin so I can restore the flash
quickly with upslug2 from my main computer.

But making a simple slugimage -u -i backup.bin / slugimage -p -o
new-backup.bin [... ] and flashing the new re-created image freezes the
nslu2. If I extract and compare both the files from the backup and the
re-created image, the files are byte-to-byte equal.

> Note that I think Debian chose to pack the image using the -l
> (little-endian) switch, instead of just allowing Apex to swap the images
> on load, so you may well need to give the -l switch on unpack and pack
> to get the same result.  You should look at the slugimage call in the
> debian installer source to find out which you need.

Tryed with slugimage -l -u -i / slugimage -p -l [ ... ] and same behaviour.
After the reboot the nslu2 hangs.

Suspecting of debian's slugimage I extracted the the images with debian's
slugimage and "original" slugimage.pl and the files were equal.

> Feel free to send me a private URL where I can download the original 8MB
> image and I can try and reproduce your results ...

I don't have a web page, but I can send you the images (original backup and
recreated backup) by e-mail... perhaps some service like yousendit.com could
help us.

Thanks
--
Asier