Re: versatile architecture image suitable for qemu usage?

On Thu, Jan 08, 2009, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> I tried to test qemubuilder armel support and realized that I don't
> have the latest kernel.
>
> initrd isn't distributed inside a package, and I don't think there's a
> kernel which doesn't work without a initrd.
>
> Is there a kernel which contains minimal support for ext2/3 and/or
> initrd which contains them ? (and supports parsing init= kernel
> command-line option).

 I agree that it's too hard right now; what would make that situation
 much easier would be either:
 - kernels with ext3 and some IDE drivers; enough builtin to boot into a
   fs and run a command
 - or generic initrds downloadable from some place; something like the
   d-i ones, but with enough to load a fs and run a command
 - or a mean to create foreign initrds; currently both initramfs-tools
   and yaird hardcode the root dir, so you can't tell your host's initrd
   generator to build an initrd for a debootstrap-ed dir
 - or a mean to run commands in a native chroot, that is run armel code
   from a x86 host for instance; this might be possible with e.g. qemu's
   CPU emulator and scratchbox, but I didn't try it out

 It's much easier in the x86 guest on x86 host case as you can just
 create the initrd by chrooting into a debootstrap-ed dir.

--
Loïc Minier