Re: Emergency telnet?

On Dec 1, 2009, at 2:53 PM, Adrian von Bidder wrote:

> Thanks for the pointer; [tbm: if you're reading this, perhaps put this info
> on your serial console page for those who don't care to build their own?
> Manufacturer link is
> http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/EvaluationKits/TTL-232R-3V3.htm ] haven't
> researched if the cables are available pre-built and am not familiar enough
> with electronics to build my own.

The specific cable you want is the 'WE' version. Then you can take the cable connected to the display of your 419P and use that to connect to the serial cable. I took two pictures of the way I managed it and put them online at http://www.1m95.nl/qnap/. These are unedited, so rather large :)

First pic shows the way I connected the wire ends from the ftdi cable to the cable inside the qnap, second pic shows the entire contraption connected to the qnap system board. Note the jumper on JP1 that's needed to switch the console output to the correct connector (Thanks to Martin for telling me about that).

Connection details (again, thanks to Martin)

ftdi					qnap

RED (VCC)		-->	RED (VCC)
ORANGE (TX) 	-->	BROWN (RX)
YELLOW (RX)	-->	ORANGE (TX)
BLACK (GND)	--> 	BLACK (GND)

Note that the cable from the qnap is twisted, so the order won't be the same if you decide to make your own connector directly on the ftdi cable.

@tbm: Feel free to use these pics on your website