Re: FSG-3 getting lenny up and running

Martin Michlmayr wrote:

* tsr <tsr@tsr.se> [2009-11-02 00:46]:
I have a FSG-3, a couple years ago I bricked it and about a year ago I
managed to fix it by completing the last step of
http://wpkg.org/Running_Debian_on_Freecom_FSG-3#Configuration_on_the_original_FSG-3
and then moving on with that guide. (That did install a custom etch, if
I understand corretly).

For the last 24 hours I have tried to upgrade this to debian lenny.
Following a general upgrade guide I have managed to upgrade everything
but the kernel. This is good.

I would really like to update the kernel though as newer versions
include better wireless drivers and support for the leds on the device.

AFAIK FSG-3 includes a Libertas mini-PCI card (88w8335), which was neither supported by "my" kernel, nor is supported by the latest-greatest kernel.org kernel (and "libertas" driver does not support it, as it's different hardware).
I had some early FSG-3 models even without any wireless.
If something changed here, I'd be glad to know.

See also this post (and a reply to it):

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/libertas-dev/2008-August/001904.html

Original FSG-3 did support 88w8335 as it contained some hacked/unmaintainable versions of this driver from Marvell.

I have tried to compile one (the latest release from kernel.org,
2.6.31?) and I am currently compiling from the debian-lenny sources
(2.6.26). Compiling the kernel.org one exited with some kind of error
(unfortunately I didnt keep them).

Well, it's hard to help if we can't see what the error was.

This second go had the same result (and again I didnt save the exact
error, but it had something to do with vgacon.o.

VGA console? Most likely not needed on hardware with no graphics support.

I have two questions:
- when configuring the kernel do I have to chose anything else than the
ixp4xx-hardware and then the FSG-target?

Not sure if Lenny isn't EABI?

- how do I go about loading the new kernel?

Just flash it, as described on my page.

Ofc, if you need any specific information (about my hardware, or errors)
I am more than glad to give you that (if you tell me how to get it).

Also, do you have a serial cable which you can connect to your FSG-3? It greatly helps debuggin / starting new kernels.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org