Re: nslu2: two devices: one by default

On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 07:01:25PM +0100, Xan wrote:
> First of all, I'm impressed. Wow!. Thanks for this great and comprensive
> answer. Now I understand the problem I have.
>
> Although I thank you the patch I will not patch the kernel because
> patching kernels are not supported and really unmantained (the security
> advisories do that I have to recompile the kernel). The ideal situation
> is that your patch will be included in debian repository as whole kernel
> and the more realistic situation is that it will be included only as a
> patch, and with apt-get we could have it ;-)

Unfortunately I have very little hope of that happening, simply because
that isn't how unix systems have ever behavied.  We use it in the kernels
that we ship on our products.  I could try to get it accepted upstream,
but I unfortunately don't have much hope for it.

> Sorry but I have no technical skills for doing that :-(. A more simple
> script were a script for switching the route table for nslu2 connects
> _firstly_ via some device all the time:
>
> for example:
> # script eth0
>
> produces a route table like:
>
> # route
> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
> Iface
> localnet        *               255.255.0.0     U     0      0        0 eth0
> localnet        *               255.255.0.0     U     0      0        0
> wlan0
> default         172.26.0.1      0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0
> default         172.26.0.1      0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0
> wlan0
>

> and
>
> # script wlan0
>
> produces
>
> # route
> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
> Iface
> localnet        *               255.255.0.0     U     0      0        0
> wlan0
> localnet        *               255.255.0.0     U     0      0        0 eth0
> default         172.26.0.1      0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0
> wlan0
> default         172.26.0.1      0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0

Controlling the order seems tricky.

> But another way I have no tech skills for doing that. The route command
> is too much complicated for me. Would you like to help me in that?
>
> Typically, I enter via ssh in my slug in 172.26.0.2 (the eth0 static
> ip), I run "script wlan0" and it swicthes to wlan0. So I unplugged the
> eth0 and then I connected ssh via 172.26.0.3 (the wlan0 static ip)
> (without the cable of eth0). What's the magical solution I want ;-)

Well preferably it would do it automatically of course without you
needing to do anything.

Simpler setup is to just use different IPs and subnets on eth and wlan,
although if both come from the same network that doesn't work of course.

--
Len Sorensen