Re: ext2 file system: moving between armel and amd64 etc.

Hi Osamu,

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 09:25:36PM +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> I realized that mkfs.ext2 creates different superblock depending on which
> system it is run under.  The difference can be observed by tune2fs -l:
>
>  ext2 created by Debian lenny on amd64:
>   Filesystem flags: signed_directory_hash
>
>  ext2 created by Ubuntu 09.4 armel:
>   Filesystem flags: unsigned_directory_hash
>
> It seems it comes from the fact that armel uses unsigned for char.

Ted, can you check if e2fsprogs expects signed char in the code that
checks for signed directory hash?

> Since kernel support of this flag is new and lenny or jaunty one seems
> to ignore it, I could move file between these 2 system.  (I do fsck -p
> to get hash fixed every time I move, first.)  So it works now but this
> is sloppy.
>
> What is the right tool to change this "Filesystem flags" setting.  I do
> not see in lenny or jaunty.  Can new tune2fs adjust this parameter?
> What is the right way to move ext2 filesystem between system?

Rather, lets try to get it fixed instead. There should be no reason
to run tune2fs when moving a filesystem from armel to x86 machine.

> PS: I am playing with Sharp PC-Z1.
>   http://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Sharp/PC-Z1NetWalker

Seems like a very interesting device :)