PostgreSQL-8.3 fails to install

Hello everybody,

I have problems to install PostgreSQL-8.3 on my QNAP TS-109 device. Everything was fine so far. But a few days ago, I had to install Debian again. This time I used kernel: 2.6.26-2-orion5x #1 Fri Aug 14 12:16:31 UTC 2009.

'apt-get install postgres' now fails.

It takes quite a long time to create the new cluster. I think something is going wrong here. Shortly after, '/etc/init.d/postgresql start' fails. The device totally breaks down and ssh connection gets lost. Manual reboot is necessary. Fortunately, 'apt-get purge postgresql-common' allows to revert to the previous state

'apt-get policy postgresql' says:

  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 8.3.7-0lenny1
    Version table: