Re: Need help debugging arm application.

On 5/20/09, Dunge <dunge2@yahoo.com> wrote:

> We are developing an application for a TS-TPC-7390 ARM device with Debian as
> the linux distribution. We are using many libraries (glibc, gdk, gtk, gtkmm,
> pango, cairo, etc). It also uses multiple threads. The program compiles and
> execute fine (a bit slow, but fine).

The 7390 has an FPU that is not being used. If you can identify which
libraries are using much floating point, you can get a 2.5 to 4 times
speedup by recompiling them with a special, modified GCC (or asking me
to).
See martinwguy.co.uk/martin/crunch

> I'm currently in the process of fixing a bug. It only happens when executing
> on the arm device (works fine on x86). It happens randomly, only on user
> input (click on a widget), but any widgets on any page can crash it.
> Sometime it's the first click, sometime it takes 5mins of random clicking,
> and sometime it never crash until we restart the application.

A favourite is a 32-bit word access that is not aligned to a 4-byte address.
Setting /proc/cpu/alignment to 3 or 5 can help you see if this is the
cause, but see also wiki.debian.org/ArmEabiFixes for other arm/el
gotchas to watch for.