How to make sure my plug boots from the USB flash-stick instead of the USB hard-disk?

My plug is now working very nicely thanks!

It boots from a USB stick. Since it's the only USB mass storage device, it's /dev/sda.

I'd like to add a USB hub and use it to connect another USB device (a hard disk) for use as /var, /home, /tmp, and swap.

But then there would be a confusion as to which usb mass storage device was sda and which sdb, depending on timing.

The usually suggested solution is to mount things by "LABEL=" in /etc/ fstab. But that only tells Linux which to use. It doesn't inform the boot firmware... Unless I'm missing something.

How do I inform the boot firmware which USB mass storage device it should boot from?

Thanks!

Rick