Re: Booting Emdebian filesystem

Yes it does exist in the tarball just fine. I believe it is something with the conversion or loading of the filesystem. After i run ./emsecondstage i can see sbin folder and its contents just fine. After that I create jffs2 filessystem and load it. To know  whether the problem arises when I create jffs2 filesystem or load it, i tried to mount the created jffs2 filesystem as loop device and see of sbin existed. But it fails to mount it asking me to specify the filesystem. When I specify it as jffs2, it does not recognize it. So i cant check sbin folder in between the steps of creating jffs2 and loading it to know when the problem actually started.

I will try to use nand.write to write it. Any other suggestions ??

On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 7:51 PM, Wookey <wookey@wookware.org> wrote:
+++ Amandeep Bhullar [2009-05-08 11:29 -0300]:
>    Hi
>
>    1. I have been trying to load and boot Emdebian FS on the ARM board but
>    when the ARM board boots into Emdebian, the /sbin folder does not exist, I
>    just see sbin file of a size 0bytes.

Does it exist in the tarball that emrootfs made? i.e. is the original
filesystem wrong, or is it something to do with the conversion to
jffs2 image and/or copying on to the flash?

>    I ran ./emsecondstage on my arm baord after doing tar -xzpf
>    emdebian-arm.tgz
>
>    next I created a jffs2 filesystem
>    mkfs.jffs2 -e 0x20000 -s 0x800 -r /EmFS -o emrootfs.jffs2 -l -n -m none
>
>    next it load it on mtdblock1 like this (my stsem looks for rootfs in
>    mtdbl0ck1)
>
>    cat emrootfs.jffs2 > /dev/mtdblock1
>
>    and i reboot the board. This is what happens:

<kernel boot log>

Clearly your jffs2 filesystem is not at all happy. I don't use jffs2
so I don;t knwo the runes offhand, but I suggest there is something
wrong with your above runes for filesystem image generation, or
more likely you need to use the nand utils to write it to the flash, not
cat (in order that the OOB CRC info is corrrectly written - I assume
you are writing to NAND, not NOR?)

>    2. My LCD display on the board also does not work once filesystem loads,
>    was working earlier.

That is likely to be a kernel problem.

Wookey
--
Principal hats:  iEndian - Balloonboard - Toby Churchill - Emdebian
http://wookware.org/