initramfs and SSH?

Hi all,

I am interested in the Debian support for the Dlink DNS-323, but am
concerned that there is no recovery option if the disk goes bad.

Discussion with Martin Michlmayr pointed me to
<http://git.debian.org/?p=collab-maint/rescue-initramfs.git;a=summary>,
which is pretty much what I was looking for, but this project seems to
have become dormant.

Does anyone know what the status of this project is, and whether it
might sensibly be included in the Debian installer for the DNS323 and
its cousins?

Thanks,

Rogan
P.S. Please Cc me, as I am not subscribed.