Re: Debain arm on a nokia N800

Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 21:27:12 -0400, Jason Edgecombe wrote:
>

>> If you screw up, you just have to reflash your tablet to restore it to
>> working order.
>>

> Does this mean that the reflashing tools are independent of the stuff
> that might have beem misflashed onto the tablet?  So that even if I
> manage to flash the thing to binary zeros, it will still reflash and not
> be permanently bricked?

The reflashing tools are usually run from a PC that is connected to the
tablet via USB.  They are independent of the tablet. You start the
flashing program on your PC and turn on the tablet while holding down a
key. There is a recent additional option of flashing from the device
itself, but flashing from a PC is the recommended method.

I believe that you can reflash an unbootable device, but please confirm
this with another source before relying on it. Please ask on the maemo
developers list to confirm. YMMV.

I have found the following links which support my view:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5664
http://www.crypticide.com/dropsafe/article/1991#comment-2834
http://forum.brighthand.com/showthread.php?t=258012

The first link above looks like the guy had partially flashed his
device, but the fix appears to be to recharge, unplug and reflash.

Sincerely,
Jason