Re: ext3/ext2 kernel bug with umlauts?

Hi, sorry for some delay, haven't dwelled into the problem recently.

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
Timo, can you try to mount the filesystem as ext2 (rather than ext3)
and tell me whether you still see this problem.

Right, that solves the problem. Mounting as ext2 works, mounting as ext3
gives the problems described in my bug report and on the mailing list by
Kai.

> > 01-jürgen_paape-so_weit_wie_noch_nie.mp3
> > 03-erlend_øye-sheltered_life_(rmx)+fine_night_(acapella).mp3
> > [...]
>
> I have to confirm this strange problem.

I just tried the same and it works fine here.  I created a dir with
the name above with those files in it on a USB stick connected to my
laptop running 2.6.27-rc4.  Then I moved it to an orion5x based box
running 2.6.26 but everything is fine.

I've not been able to reproduce the problem by any simple empty file / directory creation. Even with the same directory structure, I cannot see the problem if the data is not there. And I cannot see the problem if I just copy the "problematic" (on that disk) entries/dirs. I also tried using a script to create directories with entries beginning with "ä" in fi-wiktionary, but they also look fine when connected to QNAP.

It does not look like any corruption on the HDD I'm using either, since the same data backuped to another disc shows the same problem in the same directory/directories, although for different entries. Both disks can be accessed fine when mounted as ext3 to other machines.

What is the output of 'locale'?

fi_FI.UTF-8 on all lines (except the last LC_ALL which is empty). I tried
export LANG=C (which changes all output lines of locale to C) before
mounting but at least that didn't change anything.

-Timo