Re: thecus n2100 armel lenny upgrade, won't boot

On Friday 29 August 2008 10:09:05 Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Joost Yervante Damad <joost@damad.be> [2008-08-28 19:39]:
> > Begin: Mounting root file system ...
> > Begin: Running /scripts/local-top ...
> > Begin: Loading MD modules ...
> > [   12.660000] md: raid1 personality registered for level 1
> > Success: loaded module raid1.
> > Done.
> > Begin: Assembling all MD arrays ...
> > [   12.720000] md: md0 stopped.
> > mdadm: no devices found for /dev/md0
> > Failure: failed to assemble all arrays.
> > Done.
>
> I saw something similar recently with md on a USB stick, and was told
> to use rootdelay.  But I think your situation is different in that
> it's SATA and so it should work.  Maybe maks will see from your logs
> what's wrong.

Well, just for the record, I use a plain partition for my rootfs. I only use
raid-1 for my data partition, soo md is not needed at all for booting.
It just needs to have /dev/sda1, which it can't find cause it didn't load the
appropriate modules.

> > Gave up waiting for root device.  Common problems:
> >  - Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
> >    - Check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
>
> Well, can you try to add rootdelay=10 to see if that helps?

No, behavior is the same:
Gave up waiting for root device.  Common problems:
 - Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
   - Check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
   - Check root= (did the system wait for the right device?)
 - Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)
ALERT! /dev/sda1 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

> But imho md on SATA should work without rootdelay.  And it worked
> before since you made an upgrade, right?

Yes. The box was working fine with the previous kernel.

Joost

--
homepage: http://damad.be/joost
photo/blog: http://damad.be/joost/blog