Re: Where is stored the network setting?

Fernando Carolo wrote:
> (Sorry, I sent my previous reply to Rod only, instead of sending it to the list)
>
> On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 6:56 PM, Rod Whitby <rod@whitby.id.au> wrote:
>> Martin Michlmayr wrote:
>>> I believe there's a tool that can change SysConf.  Maybe this tool
>>> could be included in Debian.  Rod, any comments on this?
>> I'm not aware of such a tool - we have tools for fconfig and fis handling in
>> RedBoot, but the SysConf stuff is done by the Linksys proprietary
>> applications in Unslung.
>
> Rod,
>
> doesn't /sbin/sysconf on SlugOS write to the SysConf partition,
> although it only saves network settings, not all the settings used by
> Linksys firmware and Unslung?

That is true, and someone is welcome to try and port that to Debian (it
uses a lot of deeply entwined stuff in the slugos rootfs), but I
personally won't be spending the time to do so.

There is one official way to set your network configuration, and that is
to flash the Linksys vendor firmware, use the factory reset procedure,
use the Linksys web interface to set the network settings, and then
flash the firmware you want.  Since that *always* works, no matter what
you've ever done before, it is the best way to solve this problem.

-- Rod