Re: Debian kernel package for linkstation pro

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 12:04 AM, Tim Small <tim@buttersideup.com> wrote:
> The Buffalo software does indeed include an "emergency mode", but this is
> entered as a special case from their kernel/initrd pair, both of which are
> stored on the hard-disk.  Once you install the Debian kernel and initramfs
> (replacing the Buffalo kernel and initrd), this functionality would be lost.
>  The only thing in flash on the lspro is uboot.
>
> Also, an unpatched Debian kernel and initramfs won't boot on the lspro
> without deleting the initrd=... parameter (more accurately, the initrd=
> parameter causes an initramfs to fail to load on all unpatched Linux
> kernels, but does not affect an initrd).

I see, it is no problem though if the u-boot environment needs
to be changed. The EM images can also be backed up. With
the help of uboot-envtools it's also possible to retreat to it
again by changin the u-boot environment (and placing kernel
and ramdisk on the drive again of course).

Do you think the current debian installer code and method
for installing Debian on the Kurobox Pro would work for
Linkstation Pro/Live as well? The method goes something
like this:

1) Create a ext2 filesystem on the first partition on the
attached harddrive. (Has to be ext2 because u-boot can only
load files from ext2.)
2) Download uImage.buffalo, initrd.buffalo and flash-debian
3) Put uImage.buffalo and initrd.buffalo on the created ext2
partition
4) Run flash-debian
5) Reboot
6) Install Debian over SSH
7) Reboot
8) ???
9) Success!

Regarding installer code, look for "Buffalo/Revogear Kurobox
Pro" in [0] and [1].

Is it possible to extract some information from EM, possibly
placing it on the harddrive alongside with the installer
images? I am thinking that this information could be used
for oldsys-preseed, but maybe I am stretching it...

-- Per

[0] http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/d-i/trunk/packages/oldsys-preseed/oldsys-preseed?op=file&rev=0&sc=0
[1] http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/d-i/trunk/packages/flash-kernel/flash-kernel?op=file&rev=0&sc=0