Re: Generating locales on NSLU2

cmiramon@kde-france.org wrote:
> Generating locales (this might take a while)...
>   fr_FR.UTF-8...Read from remote host 192.168.1.10: Connection reset by peer
> Connection to 192.168.1.10 closed.

Generating the UTF-8 locales takes a load of memory - it's quite
possible that the kernel's OOM-killer[1] killed the sshd process.

How much swap do you have configured?

Also, there's some sysctl settings to configure the OOM-killer,
depending on the kernel.

I've got the following lines in my /etc/sysctl.conf and I'm running the
arm (not armel) kernel 2.6.24-1 from testing:

vm.overcommit_memory=2
vm.overcommit_ratio=80
vm.oom_kill_allocating_task = 1

You can set any of these temporarily for testing by using them as
arguments to "sysctl -w" - at least the last setting should prevent your
sshd from being killed when locale-gen uses too much RAM.

Also, I've run locale-gen successfully with those settings - it takes
like half an hour per UTF locale, but at least it completes.

Hope this helps.

[1] Out of memory killer

--
Kurt Bernhard Pruenner --- Haendelstrasse 17 --- 4020 Linz --- Austria
.......It might be written "Mindfuck", but it's spelt "L-A-I-N".......