Re: (native) debian(-installer) support for fsg-3

Hi,

On Tuesday 18 March 2008 21:46, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Using RedBoot and not replacing it with any other bootloader is by far
> the safest way to flash FSG-3.

Yeah, I've learned this by now too :) (As in, the bootloader support seems to
be included in the cpu subtype support in the kernel..)

> Even if you screw kernel flashing, you can still relatively easily
> recover using a serial cable (the device needs to be opened though,
> which means the warranty is gone).

I have done this now :) Actually I havent done the soldering myself, otherwise
it wouldn't look like this:
http://layer-acht.org/fotos/610_fsg3_uart_2008/100_2190_Sm.jpg.8.html

> If something goes wrong when you flash a new bootloader over RedBoot -
> well, good luck (there is JTAG, but it's not for mere mortals I guess).

I have to thank you for this sentence, the part about the mere mortals. It has
become a source of very much inspiration ;-)

Though I have to agree, that a "JTAG for dummies" howto will probably not
happen in the near future. Or maybe it is possible, for specific devices :-)

I'll put my notes about redboot and mtd up on
http://layer-acht.org/debian/fsg-3/ tomorrow.

> A nice thing on kernel-userland border is adding a custom initramfs: if
> your system goes for a lunch and doesn't boot anymore (because the user
> just did rm -rf /etc), one can always boot by simply inserting a
> "recovery USB-stick". Basically, when kernel boots and executes
> initramfs, it checks if a "recovery USB-stick" is connected, and if it
> is, the system boots from there.
> It would be nice to have such an option for other devices with no
> keyboard, monitor etc., where Debian installer runs, not just for FSG-3.

I'm not sure this is an option for the FSG-3 due to its small flash size. And
when you can boot d-i in rescue mode via ssh, I dont see much need for it
neither.

regards,
	Holger