Cross repo build from scratch

Hi,

Saw a mention of this in the archives, but no howto, just questions why.

We have a new ARM variant with special compiler options placed into a special gcc.  These changes will make a tremendous performance difference for our CPU and we would like to build many of the apps that are currently in the repo using our gcc based cross compiler and tools package.

Currently looking at scratchbox, but when we try to build something we seem to always end up at libc6 updating and then everything stops working.

Are there any instructions, hits, suggestions, up to date links that provide help on building a debian distro crossed from scrach?  I looked at some of the embedian and dpkg-cross and apt-cross but did not find any help other than some very simple man pages.

Suggestions, pointers would be great.

Thanks