Cross-building environments

Hi list,

I'm having troubles with MySQL on standard arm etch and was thinking
about cross-compiling the package (building natively on an nslu2 didn't
really work out... the thing ran out of memory) for testing purposes.
However, there seem to be various ways to do this... I'm probably mixing
up a lot of things, but I can't seem to figure out which is the best
solution. We have openembedded, emdebian, dpkg-cross and scratchbox...

>From time to time, cross-compilation issues are discussed on this list,
but the arguments don't serve as an introduction to this subject, I'm
afraid.

Is there a nice introduction for cross-compiling debian packages?
Basically, I just want to build a slightly patched mysql-server-5.0 for
my nslu2 running etch.arm without having to compile it on my slug. A few
lines on the various possibilities and their current status is
appreciated.

Thanks!

David