Re: fan control on thecus n2100

Steve Gane wrote:

> Actually, it depends on the precise nature of your fan and it's control
> system. The "minimum PWM setting for which the fan reliably runs" varies
> considerably from one unit to the next, as does "the maximum PWM number
> beyond which the fan speed ceases to increase". For me, anything less
> than 62 and the fan is too easily stopped and does not restart, anything
> greater than 90 is equivalent to 255. So, although the PWM has a setting
> range of 256, my fan is only controlled over a range of about 30!

Yes, I've discovered that too.

My fan won't start with a value less than 60 but will keep going once
running down to about 56.

Also the N2100 seems to have problems reading the actual fan tacho values, I
get a sudden drop in reported speed once the pwm value gets to about 80
despite being able to hear the fan actually running faster! Also note that
Riku's driver reports actual fan speed rather than tacho value and so the
calc at the end of the script isn't required.

There is also a bug in your /etc/init.d/temper script. You set the pwm value
to 255 for full speed before you stop the daemon. There is a chance that the
daemon might change the value again before the init.d script gets to killing
it, resulting in a possibly stopped or slow running fan. I've just updated
the Wiki.

regards,

Colin

--
Colin Tuckley      |  +44(0)1903 236872  |  PGP/GnuPG Key Id
Debian Developer   |  +44(0)7799 143369  |     0x1B3045CE

Banging your head against the wall uses 120 calories an hour.