Re: more ram/swap on leisner, please?

[wearing NBD maintainer hat]

On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 01:00:02PM -0600, Bill Gatliff wrote:
> Guys:
>
> Ok, I've set up a 5GB swap over NBD.  If the system reboots, it won't
> automagically reattach it.

Did you set the type to 's' in /etc/nbd-client? The nbd initscript
should then do the swapon correctly by itself.

> The kernel is NOT running the nbd swap patch, so I don't know if the system
> will deadlock under stress, or not...

If by "stress" you mean "lots of networking activity", then this is
quite likely; this has to do with the fact that the TCP subsystem
doesn't know whether something is critical for swapspace, or not.

Lots of CPU activity should not kill it by itself.

The NBD swap patch hasn't been maintained since way back when, but
really any "swap-over-network" patch should do.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22