lenny armel qnap network write performance

hey

i have been running a QNAP TS-209 with lenny (installer worked good), and all is well, apart from poor network write speeds. i have an NFS4 share on the server and i can read fine at ~10 MB/sec, but the write speed is ~3.5 MB/sec. i tested the write speed with samba just to make sure this was not an NFS issue, and it was even worse, ~1.5 MB/sec. this is from a linux client (Ubuntu 8.10) and OSX.

can anyone give me any hints to improve this? i used to get 10 MB/sec writes on my old DNS-323, which is pretty much the same hardware, so cannot believe this is as good as it can get//