Re: Problem using rsync on a nslu2

* [Charles de Miramon]

> I'm trying to transform a nslu2 in a debian/rsync backup of my workstation.

Hi,

(Not directly an answer to your question or even relevant to this list,
but seems very close to what you want).

I tried using rsync to backup my home directory, too, but quickly gave
it up because it's quite a memory hog if you have a large number of
files.

Instead I found rdiff-backup, which, like rsync, works over ssh and
makes a "shell browseable" backup directory, but will in addition keep a
history of all changed files in a special directory named
rdiff-backup-data.  It uses binary diffs for changed files, so small
changes to large files take little extra space.  You restore the most
recent version of a file with cp(1) and older versions with special
options to rdiff-backup.

You can read more on the project page: http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/

As a working example, I attach my backup script that I run every day on
my workstation.  It runs rdiff-backup twice: first to back up, and then
to delete backups older than 6 months.

Daily backup of 85 GB takes about 45 minutes.  The original full backup
of 64 GB took some 25 hours, but that was once 3 years ago and only
incrementals since.

Øystein
--
Nobody really reads these signatures anyway.
#!/bin/bash

rdiff-backup --remove-older-than 6M \
             --force \
             --print-statistics \