Re: How much mobileSDRAM do I need for OOo?

Hi!

On Wednesday 29 October 2008, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 01:35:30AM +0100, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> > I think, 512 MByte in the i.MX31 is enough to run OOo.
>
> Should be plenty.
>
> > OK, it is only an Evaluation Board, but how many memory do  you  suggest
> > for an "Outdoor HandBag TablePC"?
I suggest :
1) make it work
2) reduce the memory until it's no more useable using the MEM= command line
parameter.

> > It will have additionaly a GSM/UMTS/HSDPA chip, a GPS and Wifi abg  chip
> > (from Maxim) and BlueTooth.  The display is 8" or 8"4 TFT with  800x600.
> > I hope it works because the size, since otherwise I have to use 800x480.
> >
> > The 2 (independant) Akkus are Li-Polymer 7.2V and 3.6-4.5 Ah (it depend)
>
> No idea.  I am a software developer, not a hardware designer.
Your memory needs for running GSM/UMTS/HSDPA/bluethooth, is something like 2-5
% of what you need for OOo ;)

The batterie(s) will only change how much time the system will run, and this is
really out of scope.

> > I think this too, but how can I debug such things on my system?  I  have
> > problems running the ICE debuger on the JTAG  under  Linux,  exactly,  I
> > cant them convince to work with Debian.
>
> Not sure a hardware debugger is of any use.  This sounds really like a
> plain old software bug that someone just needs to fix (if anyone cares
> about java/openoffice on arm that is.  I certainly don't).

Hardware debuggers (as far as I know them) will only let you debugging the
kernel, not the userland. userland can be debugged unsing the same standard
tools available on your x86 (gdb(server), strace, ...).

> > Hmmm, you give me hope, that my hardware is not broken...

Before using such big tools, you can probably find where the bug is by simply
examining the stack trace, core dump or such things (perhaps installing
OOo -dbg will help).

Have you searched in the bug report? or posted a bug-report?

I'm sure you're not the only one wanting to make that work.

Best regards

Marc